Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Wee Quee

Yesterday, when I picked Augie up from the child care room at the gym, the woman who supervises the room told me that she'd had a great afternoon with Augie. There weren't many other kids there so she was able to spend a lot of one-on-one time with him. She said he came and sat on her lap for a bit - a big breakthrough for him with someone other than us. And then, as we were leaving, he grabbed a toy colander and put it on his head and said, "Hat!". Haley, the supervisor, said, "What a nice hat, August!", and he walked over to her and put it on her head, then laughed like crazy when it fell off. Little joker...

When I picked him up from his Montessori preschool this morning, Ruth, the woman who runs it, said that he had actually sat down with her to do a lesson! She was very impressed that he's gone from wandering around the area and touching and playing with everything, never focused, to sitting down quietly with her. And he sat at the table during snacktime for twenty minutes! I use exclamation points twice in this paragraph because this is so rare and exciting; Augie never stops moving, and I'd say that he's focus-challenged, so I love to hear these reports. I told her that his vocab has increased tremendously since beginning with her, and she said that she thought he was trying to say "blue" that morning - which he started working on yesterday when he was home with him (he was also working on orange. To be clear, "blue" means blue or green, and his word for orange means red, orange, or yellow). But it's cool that someone other than me can understand what he's saying.

On the home front, he decided to be really cute this evening. He was having red grapes for a snack, and he'd take two out of the bowl, one in each hand, and run to me and shout, "Two!". He wouldn't eat them until I acknowledged, "Yes, August, you have two grapes," and then he'd give me a big smile and stuff them both in his mouth. (Yes, we prefer he not eat two grapes at once. But I'm not the type of mother to dole them out one-by-one).  He does something similar in the morning: when I wake up, I have him help me turn on the two living room lights. As soon as they are both on, he stands between them and shouts, "Two!", arms outstretched to point at them both. And this evening he sat on the glider/rocking chair in the living room, rocking back and forth as far and fast as he could (which is pretty far) and shouting, "Rock! Rock! Rock!". When I acknowledged that he was rocking, he gave me a satisfied smile. It's his first verb.

Totally unrelated picture:


But this post is about wee Queequeg. I had a midwife appointment this morning and we did an ultrasound, because last time the baby wasn't positioned properly to see all the anatomy, so they wanted to check out the spine today. The baby gave us some good shots.



That's definitely the thumper of a football star!


No comments:

Post a Comment