Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day 114 - Be the albatross

For those of you curious, the last few nights have been better than the previous two; but do understand that by better I do not mean good. I just mean not awful.

I read that when babies are approaching a new developmental stage they often regress in their sleep habits. Further, that one reason (or effect?) for this is that, when they do wake at night (we all wake many times in the night, it's just that adults have figured out how to link the sleep cycles and not fully wake up, while babies are still trying to learn to do so), they often begin practicing their new skills in the crib. Two nights ago, we noticed during Augie's first, early awakening that he was rolling from side to side before he was even fully awake. Aha! I thought - so he's approaching this developmental stage of being able to turn over, so every time he has a little awakening at night, he's practicing - and waking himself and all the rest of us up as he does it.

At least, this is what I'm telling myself to maintain sanity during this difficult sleep regression phase. (Notice that I call it a "phase" - still trying to talk myself into better nights ahead!)

All right, all right - I know you didn't come here to read about Augie's sleep problems and my desperate attempts to talk myself (and thus him), out of them. You came for this stuff:

James told me to "be the albatross." What the *&#@ does that mean?



1 comment:

  1. I think he meant to also stand on one leg??
    Good to see you outside--obviously you haven't had enough snow there. Also good to see that Augis actually has socks on his feet rather than his hands/arms!

    ReplyDelete